New York Construction News staff writer
More than $68 million has been awarded to 74 projects across New York State through the Regional Economic Development Council initiative. A full list of projects is available here.
Applications are still being reviewed on an on-going basis until funds are exhausted. Applicants with strong, shovel-ready projects that align with the state and region’s economic development priorities can apply through the Consolidated Funding Application.
“These awards represent projects that showcase each region’s strengths and will go a long way to transform the local economies across the state,” said Empire State Development President, CEO and Commissioner Hope Knight.
This first round of projects include:
Kite’s Nest (Capital Region) – $1.6 million ESD Grant:
- transforms a two-acre formerly industrial Hudson Riverfront property into a campus for education, youth employment, environmental justice, and the arts
- features a carbon neutral building, event space, greenhouse, and extensive outdoor amenities
Advanced Motors & Drives Manufacturing (Central New York) – $1.3 million ESD Grant, $325,000 Excelsior Jobs Tax Credit:
- expanding manufacturing capabilities by adding two new manufacturing lines and upgrading and expanding its current facilities in East Syracuse, Onondaga County
Roechling Medical Expansion (Finger Lakes) – $1.5 million ESD Grant, $227,000 Excelsior Jobs Tax Credit:
- building a new Roechling facility in the Rochester/Gates area
Life’s WORC WORCForce Initiative (Long Island) – $735,000 ESD Grant:
- renovating a building to create the WORC Force Center
The Milk Factory (Mid-Hudson) – $1.5 million ESD Grant:
- renovations to 20-acre property built in 1884, that includes12 contiguous brick structures now in ruins after a fire and neglect
- Milk Factory will feature hotel rooms, extended stay suites, restaurant, a gym, spa, and retail shops
Mohawk Lifts Automation Improvements (Mohawk Valley) – $300,000 ESD Grant:
- updating manufacturing equipment and processing
National Black Theatre Victory Development Project (New York City) – $2.5 million ESD Grant:
- creating mixed-use development in Harlem and permanent home for the city’s longest-running Black theater
Best Bev NY Project (Southern Tier) – $3.2 million ESD Grant:
- renovating a leased facility in Tioga County including the purchase of machinery and equipment, and furniture and fixtures
BestSelf Headquarters Child Advocacy Center (Western New York) – $2 million ESD Grant:
- relocating and renovating largest community behavioral health provider in Western New York
The Consolidated Funding Application was created to streamline and expedite the grant application process.