New York Construction Report staff writer
A new video rendering released this week offers a glimpse of the reimagined Albany International Airport with spacious new passenger waiting areas that will be constructed as part of a recently begun upgrade of the Capital Region travel hub.
The project has received $60 million from the governor’s $230 million Upstate Airport Economic Development and Revitalization Competition.
“Airports are gateways to their local communities and important economic engines for Upstate New York – we are doing all we can to ensure they are ready for the challenges of the 21st century,” Governor Kathy Hochul said. “This new rendering shows the exciting changes that are in store for the Albany International Airport and demonstrates the great progress we are making in modernizing our transportation infrastructure.”
With an existing terminal that was designed more than a quarter century ago, the Albany International Airport handles over a million enplanements a year and is challenged by space limitations. This $100 million revitalization project will support the expansion of the airport’s terminal to provide enhanced passenger amenities pre and post checkpoint and more efficient passenger flow through security.
Additional improvements include:
- Installation of a 30 KW solar array installation on the rooftop and new energy-efficient LED lighting system throughout project area
- Revitalized airline ticketing, baggage claim and concession areas
- Removal of the existing rotunda and pedestrian bridge to construct a new main entrance with glass curtain wall and the installation of lightweight, translucent canopies
- Relocation and expansion of existing security checkpoint and passenger recompositing areas
- Airside marketplace expansion and creation of additional circulation and seating areas
- New children’s play zone
- Updates to the conference facilities, public arts area and writer’s workshop; and installation of multi-sensory calming room
- Expansion of the landside connector between the airport and the parking garage
- Upgraded heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems
“Our residents and visitors deserve a modern airport of the future, one that prioritizes greater convenience, safety, comfort and accessibility for each and every traveler,” said Albany County Executive Daniel P. McCoy.” With the ongoing terminal expansion project, that’s exactly what they will get, and this fly-through video truly brings it all to life.
“There is so much to be excited about between the expanded security checkpoint, modern business center and additional amenities, which together will help drive economic growth in our communities.”