One of Staten Island’s biggest private trash haulers and an affiliated construction company will be shut down by the end of June after the city revoked credentials they need to do business, the New York Daily News reports.
The city’s Business Integrity Commission, which regulates the private carting industry, voted unanimously not to renew the license for Flag Container Services or the registration for Formica Construction, ruling that William Formica lied during the renewal process. The revocation is expected to go into effect June 26, the newspaper reported.
In January, Formica, one of the principals of the company, was arrested and charged with covering up the murder of a construction worker in 2018.
The Commission’s general counsel David Mandell said during a hearing on June 12 that “the applicant failed to provide truthful and accurate information to the commission,” and he noted that the “applicants have engaged in a pattern of unsafe practices on their job sites.”
During the hearing, the Commission found that Flag and Formica lack “good character, honesty and integrity.”
A city official said the business credentials were revoked for four reasons: the indictment, unsafe behavior and misconduct; Formica Construction failed to provide truthful information about a principal of the company and unsafe practices at their job sites that have resulted in two deaths, according to the published report.
Prosecutors indicted Formica in January in the case of construction worker, Michael Stewart, who vanished days before Christmas last year. Among the final traces of the down-on-his-luck father of two are witness accounts that he was last seen asking for beer money at a Staten Island barber shop, the Daily News reported.
Police declared his disappearance a homicide in January and arrested ex-con Angelo Nesimi, accusing him of knifing Stewart to death in his West Brighton flat.